Practical advice for car owners on how to get voluntary CASCO insurance. A partial or full policy will be a guarantor of compensation for many risks associated with the operation of a vehicle, including theft, theft, an accident through the fault of the owner.
CASCO – voluntary vehicle insurance, which is not regulated by the Central Bank of the Russian Federation, unlike OSAGO.
Each insurer company has the right to offer its own conditions, coefficients and tariffs. Due to the competing component, the vehicle owner can find the optimal agreement that fully meets the expectations.
Why do you need to insure a car
Even the most careful and responsible driver faces the risk of damaging his car every day. Experience, excellent driving skills, keen intuition are valuable qualities that, unfortunately, do not apply to all road users.
The likelihood of encountering trouble exists in any place, from the highway to the parking lot near the supermarket. Insurance helps to protect your car from possible damage – compulsory and voluntary.
In cases with a new car, especially one bought on credit, there is not even a question of why take out insurance. Banks and car companies simply do not work with clients who refuse to buy a policy, for whatever reason. Therefore, if you want a brand new car – take out insurance.
The situation is different with the purchase of a used car that is 5 years old or more. Here, the owner decides on his own whether he needs to issue a CASCO or not. The fact is that in the event of an insured event, the restoration costs will be only 50% of the damage caused. But the accident may not happen, and the monthly fee must be paid. Many people prefer not to increase the cost of maintaining a car and confine themselves to compulsory state insurance of OSAGO.
Types of CASCO policies
Optional CASCO car insurance includes protection against many risks.
Depending on the number of “dangers” specified in the policy, insurance is divided into two types: partial and full.
Insurance consists of a full list of risks – structural defects, theft and theft. Full CASCO does not provide for life insurance (passengers and driver), transported goods, civil liability for damage caused by the owner to third parties. Typical types of risks that are covered by the classic option:
- Damage to the car during an accident, including complete destruction, without the possibility of recovery;
- Theft, car theft;
- Natural disasters;
- Intentional damage to the car by third parties (vandalism);
- Loss of spare parts, assemblies, during operation;
- Fire, including deliberate arson by criminals;
- Machine damage from hail, icicles, trees, stones, etc.
Partial hull insurance
The insurance provides compensation for damage from any damage to the vehicle.
The policy does not provide compensation for theft or theft. Insurance companies offer several options for partial hull insurance, from which the owner can choose the most likely risks, based on the operating conditions and storage of the car. The list of accidents is extensive:
- Any damage to the car in an accident;
- Force majeure circumstances that led to a violation of the functionality of the car – the collapse of bridges, road surfaces, buildings;
- Natural disasters – hurricane, downpour, hail, lightning strike;
- Natural disasters that led to damage to the structure of the car – earthquakes, landslides, snowstorms, volcanic eruptions, floods, etc.;
- Damage to the car by foreign objects – stones, icicles, trees;
- Damage caused to the car by animals, wild and domestic.
Different risks may vary in an individual policy. For example, the owner can choose insurance against criminal actions of third parties if he lives in an area with an unfavorable crime situation and damage to the car as a result of natural disasters. The programs provide a wide variety of options.
Documents for registration of CASCO
In the company, the owner will be provided with a list of documents that will need to be collected for registration of CASCO insurance.
Typically, this is a standard package that includes:
- passport or other identity card equivalent to it;
- documents for the car – sales contract, registration, technical inspection, passport, etc.
- taxpayer certificate, if a car belonging to a legal entity or individual entrepreneur is insured;
- power of attorney for the use of the vehicle by third parties, copies of driver’s licenses.
- expired CASCO policy (if any);
- documents for the anti-theft system, including a data sheet for protective equipment.
The list of documents for registration of CASCO can be expanded or significantly reduced, according to the rules of the insurance company.
You can find out the exact list by contacting the insurance sales point in person or on the website of the selected insurance company.
All the conditions of CASCO car insurance are prescribed in the contract. Organizations have the right to independently decide which clauses to include in the agreement.
Mandatory document contains:
- Full description of the insurance object;
- List of possible risks;
- The amount of the premium and insurance;
- Rights and obligations of the parties;
- The sequence of actions for the recognition of the insured event;
- Formulas for calculating the amount of compensation;
- The validity period of the policy.
For each car owner, the insurance conditions are determined individually and depend not only on the programs offered by the IC, but also on the physical condition of the car, the age of the owner (health status), driving experience (number of fines, accidents). For example, a company may refuse to issue a policy if the driver has a criminal record for hitting a pedestrian or the technical condition of the car poses a threat to road traffic.
The main advantage of CASCO is that the owner independently selects the possible risks, thereby forming the total cost of the policy.
Many insurance websites offer a handy online calculator with which you can pre-calculate premiums. Based on the basic rates of a separate insurance company, the insurance price is formed from several indicators:
Bonus-malus (from Latin “good-bad”) is calculated based on the driver’s insurance claims history. In other words, the fewer accidents, the cheaper the policy.
For example, if in the last 10 years a driver has not applied for compensation to insurance companies, he can expect to receive a 50% discount when he issues a policy.
“Experienced” coefficient KVS
It is calculated according to two indicators – age and driving experience. It is obvious that insurance companies want to see their clients as young, healthy and experienced drivers. The lower the indicator, the more expensive the policy and vice versa. For example, the driver is 25-29 years old, the driving experience is 3-4 years, the coefficient is 1.04 – the cost of insurance is almost complete.
Coefficient of region of registration of CT
Vehicle operation is completely dependent on climatic conditions. It is clear that in the Far North the car is exposed to more serious loads than in the southern latitudes.
Insurance companies have foreseen possible risks (in their own direction, of course).
To make insurance more affordable for the driver, clauses may be included in the contract that provide for partial compensation for damage at the expense of the owner. For example, dents, scratches are removed on their own. First of all, it is beneficial for the IC, despite the significant reduction in the cost of the policy. Therefore, companies everywhere impose a service.
The cost of hull insurance is also influenced by such indicators as the year of manufacture of the car, mileage, power, purpose of the car, storage conditions. The places of repair are also taken into account (preference is given to official services), the number of people allowed to drive a car, terms of payments and assessments for an insured event. Without fail, the car is checked for the risks of theft. The vehicle make is checked against a list of the most frequently stolen vehicles.
If matches are found, the cost of the policy increases (in the case of a full CASCO).
Thus, it is impossible to name the exact cost of the policy. Approximately, insurance is 5 to 20% of the value of the car.
But it can be significantly higher, taking into account all the factors inherent in a particular car. The exact cost of CASCO can only be found in the sales office, after evaluating the vehicle.
The algorithm for issuing a CASCO policy is identical in all insurance companies, in contrast to tariffs:
- Preparation of a package of documents – the owner’s passport, vehicle passport, technical inspection, driver’s licenses of people allowed to drive, etc.
- Visiting an insurance company. You should come to the office with a car that needs to be insured. The vehicle is examined by a specialist of the company for damage, about which an act is drawn up. The inspection also includes verification of the body number, VIN code, registration plate, the presence of two sets of keys.
- Based on the inspection and the documents provided, an insurance contract is drawn up. Experienced car owners recommend taking the time and carefully studying all the points. Situations often arise when verbal agreements do not coincide with the written version and the owner learns about this only after the occurrence of the insured event.
- Signing and paying for insurance.
After that, the car owner is issued a CASCO policy, a receipt for the payment, a brochure with insurance rules. The insurance begins on the date specified in the insurance.
From this moment, the owner of the car can apply to the company for compensation for damage, if, of course, it occurs and is spelled out in the terms of the contract.
Where to register
Rating agencies annually compile lists of the most effective insurance companies that fully meet the expectations of car owners. Top 5 participants in the Russian auto insurance market:
The market share is 4%. The main advantages are payments within 3 working days after the occurrence of an insured event, receiving a 5% discount while issuing MTPL and CASCO policies, and selling insurance online.
The market share is 7.9%. Offers a very profitable program for responsible drivers “Smart CASCO”, in which you can save up to 56% on insurance premiums. Available for owners of any foreign cars not exceeding 7 years old and lack of insurance claims in personal driving experience.
Market share – 4.9%. Low rates for any models of SUVs and used cars make CASCO attractive for the vast majority of car owners. The company recently introduced new technology to help improve driving experience remotely and thereby accumulate bonus points.
Market share – 17%. Offers favorable conditions for drivers over 30 years old, with a long driving experience. There are also a number of attractive offers for families with children, owners whose cars are equipped with anti-theft systems. The best option for acquiring CASCO is relatively cheap.
Market share – 13.5%. There is a loyalty program for regular customers, drivers without insurance claims. A convenient site that provides all the data for self-calculation and benefit assessment.
Car insurance is not a whim, but a mandatory precaution, given the risks drivers face every day. Therefore, when choosing a company that, in the event of an emergency, compensates for the damage, you should pay attention to reliability, percentage of insurance payments, reviews and experience of the IC. Many programs, promotional offers, franchises allow you to model a policy for your budget, needs and possible risks.
What is better than CASCO or OSAGO? Write your opinion in the comments, do not forget to rate the article!