The author of the article: Victoria Pchelinova
Direct advertising is transmitted in direct contact. This is the most effective way to convey to a potential consumer information previously specially developed by marketers. The goal is to convince that the product or service is definitely useful, and to suggest that the purchase is really necessary.
What it is
This is a special form of presentation of advertising information transmitted through personal contact. Information can be verbal or graphical.
One should not think that direct contact is a purely personal presentation of a product or service. The provision of information can be remote: by mail, or through Internet communications.
The most popular forms are on the VKontakte network, or in email messages with a personal appeal. The peculiarity of this advertising – direct appeal of the advertiser to the consumer. The personal option often works and generates sales growth.
The advertiser not only informs about the quality of their products, but also establishes contact with feedback. In addition, direct advertising implies the ability to communicate with the consumer directly.
- Telephone advertising. Often included in telemarketing, that is, direct sales with a direct call to a potential buyer. Telephone marketing often takes the form of a survey or new product launch. The method maintains constant communication with a potential buyer.
- Mailing list. It can be printed or electronic, and is always addressed directly to the addressee. A distinctive feature of this option is high interactivity. The same category includes sending SMS. Regular newsletters keep you from forgetting the brand name you advertise.
- Advertising in the media, but not any, but only the one that has a feedback mechanism. This is called direct action advertising. The potential consumer is prompted to respond quickly, for example, in the form of a phone call asking for more information, or through a return coupon with an order already placed.
- Personal advertising, or a way of personal contact. Products and services may be offered separately or as part of a promotional event, such as at a point of sale. Then it is considered as an integral part of the event.
The main reason for the popularity of direct advertising is that customer responses and attitudes are easy to track, which helps owners calculate the return on investment.
The difference between direct advertising and its other types is in the owner’s ability to address the consumer on an individual basis. Thus, two-way communication and feedback is used. Direct advertising will allow you to solve two problems at once: not only to present an interesting offer, but also to stimulate sales.
She serves consumers exclusively commercial information, therefore, affects the attitude of customers. Often causes a certain annoying effect. Taking this into account, the developers of the advertising campaign are forced to use special approaches for contact.
Direct advertising is used as a complementary medium in complex campaigns. It is designed to reinforce a different type of ad.
- Purposeful action;
- Feedback that is extremely helpful in planning.
Sometimes non-specialists call direct advertising any traditional form in which information about a product is presented on behalf of a sponsor and is not veiled in any way.
This is not entirely correct approach, these species have their own name – Above The Line, which means – above the line. But since such an interpretation of the species takes place, its forms should also be considered.
ATL is aimed at the maximum part of the audience – at any social group with practically no differentiation.
There are five types of this type:
- Print mass-media. Print media have lost most of their audience and can still be called engines of commerce. The high level of modern printing makes it possible to create beautiful glossy publications as an alternative for people who use the Internet little;
- On the radio. Its scope is no narrower than advertising in the media, and the cost is much less; Additional advantages are the design – accompaniment by pleasant music and witty dialogues of the presenters;
- On TV. It continues to be the most prestigious and popular, but it is also the most expensive. It is used to raise the status of a product or event. The advantages of advertising on TV are accessibility, coverage of a huge audience, a kind of presence effect, a variety of methods of influence. Despite the fact that part of the audience treats TV advertising negatively, this type continues to evolve;
- Cinema, that is, advertising on the so-called big screen;
- Transport. This includes billboards, citylights and boxes, and firewalls. These views are aesthetic and always visible to pedestrians and drivers.
All channels involve the allocation of significant amounts to advertising campaigns.
Nevertheless, the effectiveness remains at a high level, since information is easily replicated, repeated in various types of media, and undoubtedly motivates the audience to purchase a particular product or service.
The ATL look is used to build a brand and is intended to evoke certain associations among consumers. The calculation of costs is carried out in a fixed form, and not as a percentage of the total budget, as in more differentiated and complex forms.
Whichever type of direct advertising you choose, if you use it correctly, you can achieve the following results:
- increase sales;
- convey the necessary information to the target audience;
- accelerate getting used to a new product.
In addition, campaigns affect the economy.
How do you determine which direct advertising option will be most effective? It depends on the chosen result, the scale of the campaign, and the professionalism of the developers. For a powerful result, you should turn to professionals, because its creation and – promotion is a process not only creative, but also time consuming, requiring painstaking work and special knowledge. The result of the work will be a better recognition of the advertised product, an increase in consumer appeal.
How effective is direct advertising? How do you think? Write your opinion in the comments!