Every vehicle is fraught with danger for the owner, passengers or third parties. Therefore, the state has provided for the obligation for car owners to insure vehicles. The CTP policy is designed to protect only the surrounding people who were injured during the accident. To save the car itself, you will need to resort to voluntary insurance and buy an expensive CASCO policy. But even voluntary insurance will not cover losses in all cases.
What it is
Airplanes, ships, trains, cars are recognized as sources of increased danger. The danger can have a considerable spread, and accordingly there is a risk. Insurance is the answer to risk of any kind.
Vehicle insurance is a type of property insurance designed to protect the vehicle owner, people around him, as well as the vehicle itself.
The following categories are important in relation to transport insurance:
- The policyholder is a legal entity or individual that owns a vehicle.
- The insurer is an insurance company.
- Victim – a third person whose life / health / property has been affected.
- Object – property interests of the owner himself and 3 persons.
The fundamental classification assumes the division of vehicle insurance into compulsory and voluntary.
AT compulsory The form traces the dictate of the state, designed to secure the entire process of operating the vehicle.
Voluntary view is intended to expand the package of guarantees and capabilities.
Depending on the nature of the vehicle, insurance is provided:
- Water transport (ships, liners, boats);
- Air transport (aircraft / helicopters);
- Ground transport (railway transport, auto).
For aircraft and ships, insurance of the vessel itself (analogous to CASCO) and civil liability insurance are provided. Separate provisions on the amount of refunds can be found in the Air and Maritime Code. Most of the conditions are determined by the contract with the insurer.
Railway insurance also consists of liability insurance and the composition itself, and is determined by the agreement of the parties.
In this article, we will focus on the auto insurance required by almost everyone.
Differences between insurance
Within the framework of auto insurance, there are 3 types of insurance policies: OSAGO, DSAGO and CASCO.
OSAGO – compulsory motor third party liability insurance – designed to protect unauthorized persons and compensate them for losses incurred due to the actions of the insured. In other words, the policy will not protect the car, but will protect the victim in an accident involving the driver.
All essential conditions have already been determined by law, therefore, it is impossible to receive more than the established amount under the OSAGO policy. The legislator estimated the health and life of the victims within 500 thousand rubles, and their property – within 400 thousand. If the victim died, the beneficiaries (spouse, parents, etc.) will receive the money.
Thus, OSAGO allows the insured to compensate for the damage incurred by third parties for little money, not from his own pocket, but from the pocket of the insurance company.
On this, the advantages of the policy, perhaps, end. OSAGO will not provide any benefits for the driver himself. Only if the driver himself is not injured.
Then voluntary insurance policies – DSAGO and CASCO come into play.
DSAGO – voluntary motor third party liability insurance. The policy can be obtained from the insurance company after registration of the OSAGO.
DSAGO is useful in cases where the amount of damage is large and is not covered by payments for OSAGO. It is difficult to repair a premium car worth 400 thousand offered by a compulsory insurance policy. But payments under DSAGO reach the size of 1 – 3 million rubles.
Accordingly, even significant harm caused to human health or property will be covered in full. At the same time, the DSAGO policy is not much more expensive than OSAGO. The period of validity of a voluntary policy will always correspond to the period of validity of a mandatory one.
A bonus when concluding a contract can go free calls to an insurance expert, auto mechanic, towing a car from the scene of an accident and other useful services.
CASCO – voluntary vehicle insurance. This is not about responsibility, but about all risks. CASCO policy will protect the owner from theft, theft, damage initiated by people or nature. Accordingly, the car owner himself will receive the money, regardless of his guilt or innocence.
This type of transport insurance is the most comprehensive. And the monetary compensation may in some cases be commensurate with the cost of the car itself.
Of course, the price of registration “bites”. Therefore, the CASCO policy can be purchased with a deductible. The deductible shares the responsibility of the policyholder and the insurer. That is, the company pays for certain insured events, and the vehicle owner himself pays for some.
You need to understand that not all car accidents will fall into the category of an insured event. Let us analyze in what situations the insurance company will refuse to pay compensation (for example, Ingosstrakh):
- Loss of additional equipment (tools, anti-theft equipment), if they were not insured.
- Loss / theft of registration plates.
- Breakage of parts / assemblies not due to an accident (for example, water hammer).
- The owner got behind the wheel drunk and had an accident.
- The insured intentionally caused damage to the car in the hope of receiving compensation.
- The owner taught someone to drive or competed.
- The owner fled the scene of the accident or refused to take an alcohol test.
Also, the insurer has the right not to pay money in full or in part if the vehicle was hijacked or stolen due to the carelessness of the owner (did not close the doors or windows, left the key in the public domain).
The damage caused to the car during hostilities, terrorist attacks and other similar situations will not be reimbursed.
Do I need insurance
If we talk about the OSAGO policy, then without it you can’t even get behind the wheel, not to mention going through an inspection or registering a car. The policy must include all the people who will act as the driver of this vehicle.
For the complete absence of insurance, administrative liability is provided in the amount of 800 rubles. If the policy exists, but it is not on hand during the verification of documents, the fine will be 500 rubles.
The acquisition of DSAGO and CASCO depends solely on the will of the car owner. But the compensation they offer is impressive.
Initially, you need to collect a package of documents and conclude an agreement with the insurance company.
For liability insurance of the car owner, you will need:
- technical inspection confirmation;
- power of attorney (if not issued by the owner).
Compulsory vehicle insurance contract is based on mandatory conditions, the terms of voluntary insurance are determined by agreement of the parties.
The cost of the CTP and DSAGO policy varies depending on the age and experience of the driver, the characteristics of the car, the preferred area of operation, the seasonality of use, the presence of accidents in the past of the owner, etc.
To issue a CASCO policy, you will need similar documents. The insurance company may require that they be supplemented with a purchase and sale agreement (if the car is new), two sets of keys, driver’s licenses for everyone who plans to drive, lease agreements (if one exists), documents for anti-theft devices, etc.
On the basis of the submitted documents, the specialist will fill out the policy, ask for payment and give the policy to the car owner with a copy of the contract and a receipt.
Features and Tips
The compulsory vehicle insurance contract has no peculiarities, it is legally regulated and therefore monotonous (except for the price of the policy).
But voluntary insurance contracts, in particular CASCO, have many interesting features.
- When it comes to voluntary insurance contracts, it is clear that the conditions, amount of compensation and the list of insured events are determined by the insurer. A lot of indignation of citizens was expressed, caused by the atrocities of insurance companies, the huge cost of hull insurance, an incomprehensible list of risk situations, etc. However, in 2014, the Ordinance of the Central Bank of Russia “On the establishment of standard requirements for hull insurance” came into force. In essence, such requirements are considered a model contract. Recent research has shown that 90% of the terms of contracts of different insurance companies are the same.
- In 2016, in terms of voluntary insurance for Russians, the so-called “cooling period” was introduced. What is its essence? When you conclude a voluntary insurance contract of almost any kind, you have 14 days from the date of signing to refuse it. The cooling period also applies to CASCO. But it should be borne in mind that during these 14 days there should be no events that even remotely resemble an insured event. And then the insurer is obliged to return the premium in full.
- Life and health insurance of the driver or passengers can be entered into the CASCO policy. Accident insurance will allow you to receive compensation in case of an accident, earthquake, terrorist attack, etc.
- CASCO is not required by law. But if you decide to use the auto-mortgage banking service, you will have to issue a CASCO policy without fail. Banks require that the pledged car be insured. Otherwise, sanctions in the form of a fine or forfeit will follow. Or the credit organization will require early repayment of the loan.
- If you plan to travel outside of Russia by private car, you will have to apply for a Green Card. The Green Card policy is similar to OSAGO, but is valid in European countries and the CIS. Without it, the car owner will not even be allowed through customs. You can get a policy from Russian insurers or at a border checkpoint. A standard set of documents will be required.
Vehicle insurance is designed to protect everyone who, willingly or unwittingly, is involved in the process of movement.
The obligatory policy will cover losses caused to people around who have been involved in an accident with the participation of the insured. And voluntary policies will increase the security of the car owner by an order of magnitude. In conditions of high-speed urban rhythm, the best option is to purchase all 3 auto insurance policies. OSAGO and DSAGO are quite acceptable at cost, and CASCO can be purchased with a franchise. But you, your car and your wallet will be guarded.